Sunday, November 27

Photo Copyrights

Maybe I’ve been reading too many articles recently about photo copyrights, but I was a bit perturbed to see one of my pictures going around on Facebook without any credit. It was the top shot of 10 dogs that made it onto the back inside cover of the CG 2012 Calendar.
   I read some of the hundreds of comments, and they assumed that because the original FB page had to do with greyhound rescue from across the Pond, the dogs were from there too. Some were interested in knowing the backstory behind the picture. A link to my blog would have answered that. One person even said it is their background screen now. Some said they had seen it on other FB links.
   The person we saw post a link to it had no idea it was local to him. The more I thought about it, I figured this site got it from somewhere else, who may have gotten it from somewhere else, from whomever snagged it from my blog, and any vestige of where it came from was lost along the way.
   Oh well, I will get off my soapbox. I’m all for people enjoying my pictures. That’s why I blog. I have recently started watermarking my pictures after I saw Tales and Tails and Greyhounds Can Sit doing it.
   I am not a professional photographer, so this is not a monetary thing. I recently read on Sarah Reagan Snavely’s blog about someone who had copied her work and actually profited from it. Now that’s just plain wrong.
Editor's Note: I do not have a Facebook account, so I did not post this on Facebook.

12 comments:

  1. I have seen it floating around on Pinterest, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you post on FB and tell them it was yours? It's frustrating to see these things happen. I would be furious if someone took one of my pictures and profited from it. Is there an easy way to copy write and watermark our pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Hiking Hounds: I'm one of the few people who doesn't have a FaceBook account. My wife noticed it on hers. No one is profiting from this, but it's the principle of thing. I use Abobe Lightroom or Photoshop for watermarking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did see it on Facebook and wondered if you knew what had happened. It's sad when people resort to this sort of thing without giving credit, or asking permission! As far as I know none of my photos have been stolen, or are likely to be:) Just watermarking won't deter someone determined to steal a photo but at least they have to work a bit harder to be able to pretend it's their's.

    It is a spectacular photo:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I assumed you were connected to the rescue page I saw it on- I did link back to your blog on the comments when I saw it, though. I'm so sorry, no-one should be using your lovely image without permission :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good idea! How about a post on how to watermark photos? I have no clue! I have started adding my website to most of the videos when a website once claimed one of my videos as theirs. Made me so angry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite greyhound photos! The story it tells! I think the watermark is the way to go. Sharing is good. Nice for people to know the source of this great photo so they can enjoy others too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a fantastic photo. I'm not sure how to stop people lifting your stuff and profiting from it... how do you watermark your photos?

    H and Flo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had it on my Google account as the icon, my dog is in the picture :) But that is the only place I have seen it. I can take it off it you want me too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty much anything posted on FB or the Internet in general, becomes public. I would be honored if one of my photos was getting circulated and fussed about. Oh well... different opinion I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is kinda creepy thinking about all the strangers that read our stuff. Not that anyone would want to copy my pics, but I like the copyright idea on them and might get around to it myself eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that photo IS amazing - I think watermarking is a great idea but I am too lazy to actually do it!!!

    ReplyDelete