Monday, January 16

Audiobooks


Since my job requires some travel, I get a lot time in the car or airports or wherever to catch up on my reading/listening. I am always well prepared for delays. I love listening to audiobooks and have a subscription to audible.com. I can easily listen to an 8-10 hour audiobook in a week. I recently finished 40 hours of book one and two of the ‘Inheritance’ trilogy (Eragon & Eldest) during a long week on the road. The third book isn’t out yet. This is definitely the most ‘well-read’ I’ve ever been. I also take magazines and good ol’ fashioned paper books too. I usually carry at least one magazine, a book, and have a few audiobooks on my iPod Nano. That way I’m covered if there are delays or traffic jams. Right now, I am reading ‘Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World’s Worst Dog’ by John Grogan and listening to the ‘The Dark Tower’ series by Stephen King. It is a 7 book series at 120+ hours. I am almost finished with book five. I usually switch genres of books so that I don’t get stuck in a rut listening to the same type of books. My next selection will probably be ‘Teacher Man’ by Frank McCourt or ‘The Year of Magical Thinking’ by Joan Didion. I really enjoyed ‘Angela’s Ashes’, and his latest has gotten great reviews. My wife is currently listening to the ‘Harry Potter’ books on her pink iPod Mini. She is on book 4: Goblet of Fire. Her coworker, Aubry, is listening to the ‘Tales of the Otori’ trilogy on her green iPod Mini. My older sister is tackling the ‘Inheritance’ trilogy on her silver iPod Mini. Not sure what my little sis is listening to right now on her green iPod Mini. If you haven’t noticed, I have tried to get family and friends hooked on iPods and audiobooks. Maybe I’m trying to make up for little reading I did growing up. Both of my sisters were avid readers as kids, but I was mainly hooked on the boob tube. I do remember managing to read all the ‘Black Stallion’ books and the ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy before high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment