Thursday, April 19

My First Non-Grey Post In A While

I wasn’t even going to mention it, but I saw Trina’s blog entry, and felt like I was just side-stepping the issue. I guess it hits close to home. I am speaking of the tragedy at Virginia Tech this past Mon.

In a way, it’s a very local thing. But it’s a national obsession. I’m sure it’s even hit the international airwaves by now. It happened at Va. Tech. Both Kris and I attended Tech, though I graduated in the spring of ‘92 and Kris entered the fall of ‘92. The first two shootings were at West Ambler-Johnston dormitory (West A.J.). Both Kris and I lived in West A.J. during our respective times at Tech. I managed to live there the first year it was Co-Ed. Yeah! I guess what hits me closest to home is that he’s a native South Korean. I was born in South Korea, grew up in the States, faced bourgeois decadence, not religious, a bit anti-social at times, and attended Va. Tech. But, I managed to make it through, get a degree, a job, get married and be a daddy to a gaggle of furkids.

Appreciate everything you have, and every day you have to enjoy it.

It’s too bad that for most people, the name Va. Tech will be grouped with certain other names. Like Kent State, Ruby Ridge, Waco, Oklahoma City, Columbine... Hopefully the name Va. Tech will be able to grow beyond the association with this event.












"We will continue to invent the future through our blood and tears and through all our sadness ... We are the Hokies ..."
-- Nikki Giovanni, University Distinguished Professor, poet, activist

1 comment:

  1. yes, it is big news over here and it's very sad. too sad to use words, because words are understandable, but cho isn't.

    i wish the news would concentrate more on how this happens, not his country of origin. it avoids the issues at hand. we are raising angry boys, be they korean or white bread anglo americans. we're failing the boys.

    i'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete